One of the most frustrating things for homeowners is battling drain issues. Household drains and sewer lines can clog over time due to buildup, general wear and tear, or even environmental factors. While sometimes drain cleaning is best left to the professionals at Plumbing Solutions of Idaho, oftentimes you can troulbeshoot the problem on your own. Here are some tips to help you clear the clogs.
- First, try a plunger. This inexpensive tool clears most minor clogs.
- Try drain cleaner, available at any hardware or grocery store. Read the labels carefully before using the cleaner. Certain types can damage plastic pipes or garbage disposals, or might erode your pipes over time if used too frequently.
- Try a homemade solution of vinegar and baking soda. This is a great alternative to chemical drain cleaners. Use a half cup of baking soda followed by a half cup of vinegar in any drain, and then pour boiling water in after.
- Sometimes, drain cleaners or homemade solutions aren't enough. Try a mechanical snake to clear tough clogs. These devices are threaded into a clogged drain to manually remove clogs and clear the drain. Snakes can be used in your homes' main drain. Thread the snake in the drain, push out the clog, and use your garden hose to blast out the remnants.
- For easy DIY maintenance, try a brine solution of salt water to reduce odor and to prevent clogs. Brine solutions prevents grease buildup in your pipes.
If these tips don't free your clogs, Boise homeowners should contact Plumbing Solutions of Idaho. We can get your plumbing up and running for you.